Welcome to my space for articles, comments and links on ethical business, investment and training issues. I write widely. and am London Bureau Chief for Dhaka Tribune. By background I am a qualified Solicitor who has worked on ethical investment and corporate sustainability issues since 1992.
- Board and charities adviser, facilitator and writer
- Ethical investment maven and adviser on responsible business, human rights and ESG activism
- Non-executive director, London Pensions Fund Authority 2001-2010. (first appointed to Board with remit to advise on human rights and RI)
- Trustee at The Lloyd Foundation (since Dec 2020)
- Hon Secretary at Foreign Press Association in London (2018 and 2019)
Editorial Board, Dhaka Tribune since 2013
Vice-chair War on Want 2002-07
Member, BBC Appeals Advisory Committee [June 2004 – January 2009]
Honorary Treasurer, London 21 Sustainability Network [2004-2006]
Advisory Board member Just Pensions project and predecessor NGO committee [1997-2002]
Former Management Committee member of the New Economics Foundation
- Professional experience includes senior roles at UKSIF (interim Chief Operating Officer), Deputy Director at Ethical Trading Initiative and Head of Social Issues at EIRIS for eleven years.
I use this site to store text and links of published articles- click right and down the site via editorials and op eds to find. For some years I have put my time and family care first but am open to new projects or portfolio roles on a part time basis.
Thank you for reading, do feel free to get in touch, Niaz Alam
on the left with Jon Snow at Dhaka Lit Fest
- Contributing chapter writer Do They Mean Us? – The Foreign Correspondents view of Brexit published by Bite Sized Books Jan 2019
A list of academic and professional articles and publications with some links and pdfs is contained at my dissertation archive site and https://sites.google.com/a/ethicalbit.com/niaz-alam-articles-and-links/
I am a member of the Editorial Board of Dhaka Tribune and former Chief Editorial Writer. Links to op-eds can be found via the menu. Articles for publication can be sent c/o firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bangladesh References in Western Media and Popular Culture
What outsiders say about Bangladesh -pdf of slides from Bengal History Week Oct 2019
What outsiders say about Bangladesh – Bengal History Week 10th anniversary talk
Follow ESG Bangladesh on twitter for occasional updates. Please note:
A work in progress, this site is mainly for storing and updating my writings on ESG research, responsible business and investment topics. Links and text are also contained for other topics and many of my newspaper articles. Hopefully readers will find a few helpful ideas and links to share around.
Opinions are personal, as are any mistakes which are mine and not intended. This blog is not meant as a comprehensive guide to any topic – including myself even though the lyrical allusions in the title and header do indicate my age – so is not a substitute for clarifying and updating facts or taking independent professional advice.
The geographical bias of contents may be affected by the fact that most of this professional career has been in London, but I have also spent considerable time in Bangladesh.
- Academic articles, texts and dissertation archivehttps://niazalam.wordpress.com
- List of publications and links/some pdfs available at https://sites.google.com/a/ethicalbit.com/niaz-alam-articles-and-links/
- Op-eds Dhaka Tribune http://www.dhakatribune.com/author/niaz-alam
- Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/niazalamri
- Ethical Investment and Consumers in Cultural History available at Scribd http://www.scribd.com/doc/138459830/Ethical-Investment-and-Consumers-in-Cultural-History-Niaz-Alam-2013 and other archives via :
Since 2017, I have been on the judging panels for several years’ FPA Media Awards and until 2020 also for Investment Week’s Sustainable & ESG Investment Awards.